The Onion Creek community (map) comprises approximately 1200 homes, including condominiums, patio homes and single family dwellings (aerial view). Development of the community commenced in 1973 with the simultaneous establishment of the residential community and the Onion Creek Club. The community attracted significant attention during the middle and late 1970s as the club hosted the Legends of Golf tournament, which became the foundation for the PGA Champions Tour. The community has seen several expansions since its 1973 inception with the last coming in about 1996 in conjunction with a 9-hole extension of the golf course.
Onion Creek has long been an oasis of genteel living in South Austin. Because it is defined by the winding waterway of Onion Creek along with large areas of mature trees, the residents share the area with a myriad of birds and wildlife. Because of its proximity to the former Bergstrom Air Force Base, the Onion Creek community is home to many retirees many from the U.S. Air Force as well as from other endeavors. In recent years, however, the neighborhood has enjoyed renewed interest from younger families, because of its relaxed lifestyle, almost non-existent crime rate and easy access to downtown Austin.
Onion Creek was annexed by the City of Austin in 2004. In spite of being part of the city, the residents have been able to maintain a private security force, as well as superior solid waste disposal services through Waste Management Inc. Children in the neighborhood are served by the Austin Independent School District through Menchaca Elementary School, Paredes Middle School and Akins High School.
The Southpark Meadows retail area south of Slaughter Lane and west of Interstate 35 has made the Onion Creek community an even more attractive location by offering a mix of shopping opportunities along with many restaurants and other service providers.
Frequently Asked Questions